Using Communication to Uplevel Your Corporate Career with Kristy Olinger
Communication is the cornerstone of our lives, shaping the trajectory of our careers, personal relationships, and social interactions. It's a skill set that goes beyond words — embracing the art of active listening, articulating thoughts with clarity, and building bridges of understanding.
In the corporate world, communication is the key to opening countless opportunities. Whether we're aiming for career growth, seeking collaborative partnerships, or building strong professional relationships, mastering the art of communication is our secret sauce!
In this episode, we are joined by Kristy Olinger, a 20-year veteran of corporate life who knows that soft skills are the hardest thing we do at work. As a communication consultant and speaker, Kristy helps teams and individuals communicate better at work through interactive programs that deliver practical solutions which makes it easier to apply in everyday work life. Kristy is also the host of the Opposite of Small Talk, a podcast for curious people interested in personal and professional growth.
She talks about the challenges she has experienced and witnessed as a leader in the financial industry. She also shares some practical tips and strategies on how communication and interpersonal skills can make a remarkable difference in our careers.
Remember, every conversation is an opportunity — seize it with purpose and intent. Invest in improving your communication skills through continuous learning, seeking feedback, and practicing effective communication in various scenarios.
Thoughts to Empower
- "If you're trying to decide a direction, often there's more than one right way to go." — Kristy Olinger
- “When you improve your ability to communicate, it helps you in every aspect of your life. It's not just about your job. It can also help you in how you handle your personal relationships.” — Kristy Olinger
- “By simply paying closer attention to what you're doing every day, there's something to learn everywhere you look.” — Kristy Olinger
- “You learned something so much deeper when you need to teach it to someone else.” — Kristy Olinger
- “Start before you're ready because you're never going to feel ready to do something that you've never done before, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it.” — Kristy Olinger
- “Life is a great experiment.” — Kristy Olinger
- “The times I have stayed silent, I have seen it impact the business.” — Becca Powers
- “Corporate happiness is possible.” — Becca Powers
Key Points From This Episode:
- Communication is a skill that we can learn, not something we are born with
- How communication can have a positive impact on every aspect of our lives
- Building stronger work relationships through communication
- The power of being able to speak up and being heard
- How to gain promotion through exposure and communication skills
- Learn a soft skill that is relevant to your job role
About Kristy Olinger:
Kristy Olinger is a 20-year veteran of corporate life who knows that soft skills are the hardest thing we do at work. As a communication consultant and speaker, Kristy helps teams and individuals communicate better at work through interactive programs that deliver practical solutions which makes it easier to apply in everyday work life. Kristy is also the host of the Opposite of Small Talk, a podcast for curious people interested in personal and professional growth.