Mother's Day Episode: Ode to Working Mothers from Two Working Moms with Teresa Rand
Women are powerful.
But we’re no superheroes. We can't do it all. We shouldn't even feel like we have to be one in the first place.
Women now have the opportunity to earn degrees, pursue careers, take on leadership positions, and achieve their dreams. However, this recognition also comes with a new responsibility: the expectation to be everything to everyone and to do everything all at once.
But just like everyone else, we have great days and bad days at work at the same time that there is tension or chaos at home. We are allowed to feel and be tired. Let me reiterate: we can’t do it all and we shouldn’t force ourselves to do so.
In the midst of all this chaos and pressure, we should tread the path with balance. It’s important to show ourselves some grace.
So how can we foster that balance in us as women?
My guest, Teresa Rand, shares with us her insight to this question. For Teresa, it’s about surrounding yourself with the right people who see you for your strengths and who lift you up. It’s also about listening to your gut, to not be afraid to take risks and make mistakes.
Teresa is a cheerleader for women and an advocate for women empowerment. She recognizes the distance women have come towards workforce equality and how much further there is to go. Her life mission is to help women leaders climb the career ladder and achieve inclusive leadership in the workforce.
Thoughts to Empower
- “Surround yourself with people who will lift you up." - Teresa Rand
- "People can sometimes see us better than we can see ourselves." - Teresa Rand
- "When we don't add a little bit of risk, especially to our careers, we're not growing." - Becca Powers
- "I believe if we share the mistakes we've made and the lessons we've learned, we can help other people not have to make those same mistakes." - Teresa Rand
Key Points From This Episode:
- Women need to give themselves permission to take risks
- Failure is not the end
- Go with your gut
- Compartmentalizing is detrimental to mental health
- Confidence is the key to everything
- It's okay to take advice from others
- Trust yourself and your instincts
About Teresa Rand:
Teresa is passionate about helping leaders achieve their dreams of climbing the career ladder, earning their seat in the C-suite, and achieving inclusive leadership in the workforce. She believes that female leaders are responsible for reaching down the career ladder and helping other women advance in their careers. As a former CEO, Teresa managed up to $35 million and 1,000+ employees. Through public speaking and client coaching, she inspires women to be their best selves.
Teresa is the founder of the Boss Lady Community and the Boss Lady Podcast, which focus on women’s empowerment, gender equality, and women’s issues.