How Self-Neglect Equates to Burnout and What to Do About It with Cait Donovan
Here’s one of the world’s most ridiculous takes: Burnout is a myth.
Naysayers believe burnout is an excuse to laziness and inefficiency. Working long hours, replacing sleep with doing academic requirements, stretching yourself thin to accommodate the people in your life—apparently, these activities have been normalized so that it doesn’t cause fatigue to humans.
But even machines need to rest too if it’s been utilized for too long.
Burnout is as true as it can be. Now, more than ever, it needs to be talked about.
Here we discuss how burnout can be rooted in different facets of someone’s life; it isn’t just overfatigue or tiredness from overworking. Burnout can be a manifestation of a much more dangerous issue; it can also be a factor that changes a person’s lifestyle, affecting relationships and the environment around you.
This is only a glimpse of what we have in store for you. There is more knowledge in store for you in this episode of The emPOWERed Half Hour.
Thoughts to Empower
- “One of the basic things we need for burnout recovery is a sense of safety. One of the things that teaches our body that we are safe is continuously responding to its message.” – Cait Donovan
- I don't have to be a martyr and a savior in every situation. – Cait Donovan
- Burnout takes our presence away from ourselves and from the people we love. Self neglect takes our presence away. – Becca Powers
- Recovery is a sense of safety. – Becca Powers
- If you can admit to your resentments, then look at them as places where you need to implement changes in your life. You will be immeasurably happier within a short time. – Cait Donovan
Key Points From This Episode:
- Self neglect takes our presence away.
- Foods that must be avoided in order to prevent burnout.
- Consistency and passions can help in preventing burnout
- How to heal from burnout
About Cait Donovan:
Cait Donovan is a Keynote speaker, one of New York City’s leading burnout experts, host of “Fried – The Burnout Podcast,” and author of the book "The Bouncebackability Factor". Her creative burnout recovery solutions have been featured on podcasts and online magazines such as “Forbes”, “NPR,” and “The New York Post” and in companies such as Lululemon and Pepsico.